Flyer’s FIX Engine is also free, but provides world-class performance, support and scalability
You need FIX connectivity but:
- You don’t have an in-house FIX Engine
- You don’t want to spend hard dollars on a proof of concept or small scale connection
If you’re a trading shop looking to:
- Generate electronic orders
- Subscribe to market data
- Receive electronic drop copies or trade notifications
You are probably considering QuickFIX open source software:
- Many developers, quants, and analysts know of QuickFIX and have used it before
- It’s the leading free FIX engine
- Most vendors reference QuickFIX for shops that don’t have an in-house solution
Flyer’s FIX Engine is a better choice than QuickFIX
- Better performance that won’t fail
- 100’s of professional customers use Flyer’s FIX Engine within their huge mission critical trading infrastructure
- Superior technical innovations such as minimal object allocation and thread switching, as well as the ZeroGC feature, the Flyer FIX Engine can avoid the frequent and costly Java Garbage Collection operations and of which the QuickFIX platform is notoriously susceptible.
- Talk live to professional and expert support staff
- Flyer connects to 100’s of the most used trading partners
- When you need to manage and support your connections, and perhaps move to managed hosting, Flyer is ready for you
Bridge from open to enterprise
In the connectivity ecosystem, there is a place for open source and vendor products. In fact, Flyer speaks QuickFIX and has helped clients integrate their open source engine with robust infrastructure tools for a hybrid approach that balances cost and “big iron” capabilities. In keeping with our commitment to the open source community, Flyer will be making its FIX parser available as well as the Python API for network connectivity.
Plugging into your workflow
While QuickFIX is free to deploy, the cost of building around it and connecting your business seamlessly is not. In fact, the challenge of plugging your application into bespoke workflow is not trivial, and there are many things to consider when choosing to go down this path, including
- Connecting to counter-parties
- Securing the connectivity (VPN, SSH, TLS etc)
- Managing FIX protocols (4.2, 4.4, 5.0 etc)
- Message transformation
- Custom tags
- Drop copies to out of band systems
- Maintaining the code
- High availability
- Performance issues
Penny wise dollar foolish
QuickFIX addresses the basic messaging need that underpins the workflow, but it ends there. Business requirements are complex, on-going development and support is demanding. Programmers developing outside of core competencies may be saving hundreds of dollars in the short term, but may lose tens of thousands in opportunity cost or support.
FIX for all
FIX Flyer is an industry leading supplier of FIX infrastructure and tools for the most demanding clients across the capital markets spectrum, which includes exchanges, global macro hedge funds, and large broker-dealers. While this robust infrastructure and professional service have always been available to the largest players for a price, the high cost of this arms race has forced smaller trading shops into the wilderness of open source – until now. Flyer has now made the same infrastructure that the largest trading desks use available to everyone using the “Freemium” model.
- Free engine for up to 3 connections
- Multi-API support (Java, .Net, Python etc.)
- Domain expertise
- Frictionless path from POC to production
Unlike QuickFIX, each language and API is supported by a single company with domain expertise.
Start Small with High Performance
The Flyer FIX Engine was designed from the start to be reliable and deterministic. The engine does not have to be bounced or restarted nightly. Production Flyer FIX Engine instances have been running for over a year.
Superior technical innovations such as minimal object allocation and thread switching, as well as the ZeroGC feature, the Flyer FIX Engine can avoid the frequent and costly Java Garbage Collection operations and of which the QuickFIX platform is notoriously susceptible.
With the core FIX engine providing rock solid reliability and deterministic performance building a full end-to-end workflow and scaling up to large infrastructure is remarkably predictable and prone to succeed.
Built to scale
Utilizing the Flyer engine and FIX team allows you to deploy in a hosted environment, connect to your counter-parties via the Flyer Trading Network, and move efficiently from idea to production. The 24×6 support makes connectivity turn key and accessible. The choice is simple; choose open source and build everything from end to end, or leave FIX to the experts and focus on core competencies.